When leftover bread comes into question, many are wondering how to make something yummy out of it. One of the best ways to use leftover bread is to make a bread pudding.
Bread pudding is popular worldwide, many nations have their own version. The recipe I`m going to share with you today comes from Hungary.
The Hungarian name of the dessert is „máglyarakás”, which means bonfire. It got its name from the fried meringue on top of it, reminiscent of flames.
You can make apple bread pudding by following these three steps: 1. Sautée the apples with a little water, cinnamon and sugar. 2. Make the base out of bread, vanilla flavored milk, sugar and egg yolk, then put a layer of apricot jam on it. Arrange the apple filling on top of the pudding and bake. 3. Meanwhile, make the meringue and add the apricot jam. Put it on the apple filling and continue to bake the bread pudding until a nice brown.
- Cut the peeled and cored apples into small slices and put them into a saucepan.
- Add the sugar, cinnamon, and water and heat up to a boiling point.
- Sautée the apples until tender and the juice is reduced.
- You can adjust the amount of sugar depending on the natural sweetness of the apples you use.
- Grease the bottom and the sides of the baking tray (approx. 30 by 30 cm/12 by 12-inch, and 5cm/2 inches deep) with butter and preheat the oven to 180°C / 360°F.
- Cut the bread into small cubes (approx 1.2 cm / ½ inch) and put them into a bowl.
- Heat the milk with the vanilla to a boil, then pour over the bread. Mix well and let the bread take in the milk.
- Mix the egg yolks with the granulated sugar until frothy, then add to the previously prepared bread and stir well.
- Pour the prepared mixture into the buttered baking tray, then apply the apricot jam onto the top of the dough.
- Arrange the apple pie filling on top of the base layer and bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes.
- Beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until frothy, then add the granulated sugar in 2-3 batches, mixing constantly until the sugar dissolves and stiff peaks form.
- Gently mix the apricot jam with the meringue using a wooden spoon or hand whisk.
- Arrange the meringue on top of the baked pudding and put it back into the oven and bake for approx. 10 minutes, or until a nice brown.
- Let the pudding cool down a bit, then slice and serve. It is best when freshly served, and still lukewarm, but can be stored until the next day.
Bread pudding layers
The base layer is made from bread cut into small cubes with vanilla, milk, egg yolk, and sugar. Any bread is suitable for making this pudding. You can use brioche, white, wholemeal, or cornbread. The bread does not have to be fresh as it will soften from the milk.
Before baking, the layer containing the bread should be coated with a thin layer of apricot jam. I always use my homemade jam, it tastes much better than any store-bought product.
Now comes the apple cinnamon filling, which will make the dessert taste like apple pie. You can adjust the sugar amount added to the apples as needed. It depends on the type of apples. Granny Smith requires more sugar than Golden delicious for example.
The finishing layer is made of egg whites whipped with sugar. The meringue layer also contains apricot jam, and it is also fried.
How To Make Apple Bread Pudding?
The perfect bread pudding with a vanilla custard base, apple cinnamon filling and baked meringue on top.
For the base layer:
- 255 g / 9 оz bread of your choice
- 510 g / 18 oz milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 egg yolks
- 100 g / 3.5 oz granulated sugar
- 150 g / 5 oz apricot jam
For the apple pie filling:
- 710 g / 25 oz peeled and cored apples
- 70 g / 2.5 oz granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons of water
For the meringue:
- 5 egg whites
- A pinch of salt
- 100 g / 3,5 oz granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons apricot jam
Apple pie filling:
- Slice the apples, then mix them with water, sugar, and cinnamon.
- Sautee the apple filling in a saucepan over medium heat until tender and the juice is reduced.
The pudding base:
- Prepare a baking tray approx. 30 by 30 cm and 5 cm deep (12 by 12 inches and 2 inches deep) and grease it with butter.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 360°F.
- Cut the bread into small cubes and put them into a bowl.
- Heat the milk and the vanilla to a boil and pour over the bread cubes. Set it aside until the bread soaks up the milk.
- Mix the egg yolks with the granulated sugar until frothy, then add to the prepared bread.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking tray and apply the apricot jam on top.
- Arrange the apple pie filling on top of the prepared batter and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Beat the egg withes with a pinch of salt until frothy, then add the granulated sugar in 3 batches and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Add the apricot jam into the meringue and mix gently.
- Arrange the meringue on top of the baked pudding, and bake for 10 minutes more, or
until a nice brown.
- Best when served fresh, while still lukewarm.
You can adjust the sugar amount in the apple pie filling according to the natural sweetness of the apples.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 198
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 253Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1,6gTrans Fat: 0gCholesterol: 81mgSodium: 181mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 4gSugar: 38gProtein: 7g
Disclaimer: Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.
You can make a really yummy pudding based on this recipe. I also recommend it for beginners as it is really simple but the result is spectacular.
If you liked my recipe, please share it with your friends. Feel free to leave your comments or ask any questions related to this recipe in the section below.
If you like desserts with apples, take a look at my homemade apple pie recipe and mini apple pies baked in muffin tins.
4 thoughts on “How To Make Apple Bread Pudding?”
Thanks for sharing this recipe with the world here. I was actually just talking earlier about how we should start baking things again. So, i think if i was ever stuck for choice on what to start with, then i am no longer stuck. This looks delicious. So i look formward to making this later on this evening. Thanks for sharing
Hello Kwidzin, I`m glad you liked my recipe. This apple pie bread pudding recipe is really delicious, it`s easy to make. It`s one of my favourite desserts.
Hi Debora. Thank you for great post. My family love sweets but Im trying not to buy too much, as there are so many not natural ingredients inside. But your recipe is really great, It looks super tasty, its clearly explained how to do it and for sure its healthier than sweets from shop. Can’t wait to serve it to my kids.
Hello Cogito, thank you for your kind words. I agree with you, it`s much better to make our own desserts. Homemade sweets can be healthier and they are also budget-friendly. I`m sure you and your kids will love this apple pie bread pudding, it`s really yummy.