Although made without eggs, this chocolate cake is soft, moist, and has a rich chocolate flavor. It is topped with a dark chocolate glaze. A perfect dessert for busy moms like me, or beginners in the kitchen. You can make this eggless chocolate yogurt cake recipe quickly and easily with a few basic ingredients and tools. I like to serve it with berry sauce and some fresh fruit, but it is also delicious with whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream.
I have had this eggless yogurt cake recipe for a long time, I got it from one of my mother`s co-workers more than 30 years ago. There was a period when I didn’t use eggs because of my son`s food allergies. I often made this cake at that time, and it became one of my family`s favorites. My kids have grown up in the meantime, but they still love this cake. This is not a small cake, but it disappears within half an hour.
I remember the first time I made this cake, I found there was too much sugar in it, so I decided to change the recipe to suit my taste. I halved the sugar in the batter and also in the glaze. Now the flavors of cocoa powder and dark chocolate dominate.
Few words about the ingredients used for this recipe
- I recommend plain flour for this chocolate yogurt cake recipe.
- The cake batter contains cocoa powder, but I use dark chocolate for the glaze. Although made with yogurt, this is not a low-fat cake, the glaze contains butter and milk.
- For the batter, I like to use sunflower oil. You can use any vegetable oil of your choice, but I recommend one with a neutral flavor.
- I use plain yogurt for this recipe, but you can also use Greek yogurt. The emphasis is on the acidity of the yogurt. Baking soda (bicarbonate of soda or sodium bicarbonate) is used as a leavening agent. When acid reacts with baking soda, carbon dioxide is released, which causes the batter to expand. This is how the soft, airy texture of the cake is formed without eggs.
- I always sift the flour, baking soda, and cocoa powder before use, there will be fewer lumps in the batter to deal with during the mixing.
The equipment you`ll need to make this chocolate yogurt cake
- You don`t need an electric mixer for this recipe, you can easily mix the batter with a hand whisk.
- You will also need an approximately 30 by 30 cm (12 by 12 inch) cake pan that is at least 4cm (1.5 inch) deep, greased, and floured or lined with baking paper. I like to use baking paper because it`s less messy than greasing and flouring (and eventually washing) the cake pan.
Tips for serving and decorating the chocolate yogurt cake
This eggless chocolate cake with yogurt is delicious on its own, but you can take it to another level by decorating and adding:
- A scoop of ice cream
- Whipped cream
- Berry sauce
- Fresh fruit, like oranges or various berries.
Eggless Chocolate Yogurt Cake Recipe
This soft and moist yogurt chocolate cake is covered with chocolate glaze.
For the cake batter
- 700 g (25 oz) plain yogurt
- 270 g (9.5 oz) granulated sugar
- 90 g (3.2 oz) vegetable oil
- 425 g (15 oz) plain flour
- 10 g (0.4 oz) / 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 30 g (1.0 oz) cocoa powder
- A pinch of salt
For the chocolate glaze:
- 60 g (2.0 oz) granulated sugar
- 125 g (4.4 oz) butter
- 100 ml (3.4 fl oz) milk
- 100 g (3.5 oz) chopped dark chocolate or chocolate chips
- Prepare and bake the cake batter:
- Measure the ingredients.
- Pour the yogurt, oil, and sugar into a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, sift and combine the flour with the cocoa powder, baking soda
and a pinch of salt.
- Add the combined dry ingredients to the bowl with the wet ingredients and whisk them to remove any lumps.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Place the pan into the preheated oven and bake at 200°C / 390°F for 10 minutes, then
reduce the temperature to 150°C / 300°F and bake for another 20 minutes. You can check if the cake is baked by inserting a toothpick into the center. The cake is properly baked if the toothpick comes out clean, without unbaked batter.
- After the cake is baked, take it out of the oven and set it aside. Leave it in the pan.
- Prepare the chocolate glaze:
- Pour the milk into a small saucepan. Add the sugar, butter, and chopped chocolate or chocolate chips.
- Cook the mixture on low heat, stirring constantly. It is ready when all of the
ingredients are molten and the mixture is homogeneous.
- Pour the glaze onto the cake while still in the pan.
- Let it cool completely. The glaze will thicken.
- Cut rectangular pieces and serve.
- The cake can be stored in a refrigerator for up to 5 days, in an airtight container to prevent it from drying out.
You can serve this chocolate yogurt cake with whipped cream, a scoop of ice cream, or a berry sauce.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 slices Serving Size: 2 slices
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 357Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 6.4gTrans Fat: 0.26gCholesterol: 19mgSodium: 268mgCarbohydrates: 47gFiber: 1.5gSugar: 27.3gProtein: 6.3g
Disclaimer: Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.
This is the best chocolate yogurt cake recipe I have ever come across. It is simple to make, even for beginners. If you have any comments or questions related to this recipe please leave them in the section below. If you found this post useful don`t forget to share this post on Social Media.
If you are looking for some more eggless recipes, try out my Spritz cookie recipe variations.
4 thoughts on “Eggless Chocolate Yogurt Cake Recipe – Soft, Moist, and Simple”
Yum! Our family loves chocolate cakes and this recipe doesn’t look like anything we’ve tried to make at home before!! It’s good to have options to create delicious things in the kitchen even when you have already used all of your eggs. I think the raspberries on top should add a nice touch as well. I really appreciate this innovative eggless recipe and will let you know how it goes!
I`m so glad you liked my eggless chocolate yogurt cake recipe. I used eggless recipes a lot because of my son`s food allergies. These desserts can be really delicious, soft and moist.
Delicious! Our relatives adores chocolate cakes, and this dish does not resemble anything we’ve ever attempted to make at home!! Even if you’ve used up all of your eggs, it’s nice to have options for making delicious dishes in the kitchen. I assume the raspberries on top will be a nice addition as well. I applaud this creative eggless recipe and will let you know how it turns out!
Hello Ben, thank you for your kind words. I`m sure you`ll love my eggless chocolate yogurt cake, it`s really yummy.